I am a student in Professor Arvan's Econ 490 class. I am blogging under an alias to protect my true identity using the name of a famous economist for that purpose.
Test Post
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Hello Professor Arvan, this is simply a test post to demonstrate the functionality of my blog.
Conflict arises every day in the professional world. Whether it is internal or external, tailoring a solution to the problem is essential to ensuring the business continues to thrive. Throughout my lifetime, I have experienced many different types of conflicts. However, when thinking about a conflict at work or at an RSO, there is one that comes to mind. Last summer, I was an intern for an insurance agency in Chicago. My job title was set at a college financial advisor, and I was tasked with identifying any financial needs for clients and help them reach their goals. The hard part of the job was that I had to build my own book of business. Being a 22-year-old, many people didn’t take me seriously and were not willing to work with me and share their personal financial information. It became very tough for me to find new people to reach out to due and overtime I exhausted my network of friends and family. One day when there were only a few hours left in the workday, my ...
Arriving to the campus at the beginning of the semester, I had no clue which upper-level economics classes I would be taking. Due to class size restrictions, I was not able to get a seat in the classes I originally desired. However, after coming to terms with the situation, I began to look around for other classes that I could take that filled my economics degree requirements. A friend recommended that I take Econ 490 with you to broaden my knowledge amongst organizations. Since I will be working for companies for the rest of my life, my friend said it is extremely beneficial to know the economics of organizations and how they operate. Looking at the class structure, I think the best thing you did was create flexible deadlines. This allowed me to truly put forth my greatest effort when doing the assignments, rather than just cranking them out to meet a deadline. Often, I was able to start the blog then take a break and let my thoughts build up before putting my fing...
Throughout my life, most of my interactions at work have fallen under the category of the standard principal-agent model. However, the position I had over the summer fits the triangle model quite well. As I discussed in my previous post, this past summer, I was a college financial representative for a mutual insurance company. A mutual insurance company is one in which the company is owned entirely by the policyholders. Therefore, as an associate, I worked as an agent for both my clients and the firm. I was quite literally an independent contractor working for the company, in which my tax form filed was 1098. From the company’s side, they expected me to do an exceptional job finding and scouting out new clients to meet sales goals. It was a process known as “building a book of business” in the sales world. Through these clients, they pushed me to do my best to sell the different products the company had to offer. Certain products were able to catch the company a g...
Comments
Post a Comment